Marion City Band was established in 1969 with support from the City of Marion Council to purchase the first set of instruments and uniforms for students from Mitchell Park Boys’ Technical College to continue their musical education after graduating.
This relationship with the City of Marion continues to be a strong component of the bands success, with the band celebrating 50 Years + of community brass banding.
A big influence in the band’s history was the appointment of Musical Director, Veronica Boulton, in August 2004 through to December 2019. This was a catalyst for a number of changes in the band, including the then junior/training band of Warriparinga Brass moving towards being a strong competition band in its own right, moving through D to C Grade Brass, while Marion City Band (competition band) continuing to move forward from C Grade Brass to B Grade (and under competition rules, playing in A grade where no B grade band registered).
Contining expansion in membership and ability levels led to the further development of a new junior/training band being established to continue the strong training program. This was named Heaven Brass, and is now the entry point band for learner and developing players.
Marion City band continues to create a positive, encouraging and inclusive environment for members of the community to discover, develop or continue their interest in music through participation in a fun, busy and family friendly brass band.
Education Program: Heaven Brass
Marion City Band commenced its education program in August, 2004 with the establishment of a junior band, Warriparinga Brass which was for many years the training and development band, but with its progression and now a competition band in its own right, so the band expanded again to form a new training and deveopment band,
HEAVEN BRASS is Marion City Band's training band, and a continuing focus of Marion City Band’s education program , and making brass band community music playing available to anyone wanting to give it a try.
- The Heaven Brass education program accepts students of all ages and caters to individuals who have zero or very little experience in playing brass/percussion instruments. While the program is structured towards learning the skills of brass/percussion musicianship, its main focus is instilling an enjoyment for learning in learners.
- Early stages of the program involve small group and (where possible) individual lessons in order to teach the basics of playing brass and percussion instruments
- Small group lessons are taught by experienced musicians and are conducted under the supervision of the Musical Director and assistant tutuors.
- Pupils developed to read and play basic music and progress to the main ‘Heaven Brass’ ensemble where they learn to play achievable music in a music ensemble setting
- Members of Heaven Brass that progress in their playing ability may graduate from Heaven Brass through to Warriparinga Brass, but there is no pressure or timeline on this, and some are happy to stay within the training group environment and enjoy the experience.
- Those from senior bands that wish to trying a new instrument, be a helper for developing players or just want to join in for fun are welcome to join Heaven Brass rehearsals anytime also.
The cost of Heaven Brass tuition and instrument hire is included in the quarterly fees charged by the band.
Ensuring that tuition and instrument hire is affordable is a major focus of the band, and with continuing support from the City of Marion Council, and ongoing band fundraising efforts, we are able to provide a fantastic brass band program for community enjoyment.